I spent the entire month on the mainland – one week on vacation and four weeks working. Here are 10 things that made me happy:
- Good times with good friends – especially these two ladies and their dudes.
- Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.
- The little things – hello, tiny frog.
- The big things – hello, trees that are too big and tall to comprehend.
- Camping in the California redwoods.
- Swimming in COLD river water.
- Driving 101 along the Oregon coast.
- Full moon in summer.
- Biking in the bike city – Portland. (Thanks to a lovely friend who let me borrow her bike for my entire trip.)
October – our last month living in Oregon together. Much of the month involved getting the house ready to sell, but we made time for some great trips, Portland experiences and meals out with good friends.
Here are 10 things I loved about October:
- Walks at Powell Butte Nature Park – our neighborhood spot for the last seven years
- Nuestra Cocina – best fish ever, and a pretty good pumpkin soup
- Kayaks – we bought ourselves presents for our new life in Hawaii
- A walk at the lake – a great weekend with the parents
- Lark Press – great little shop with “designy” gifts and letterpress cards
- Beautiful autumn drives – one last road trip
- Laughing Planet – Cuban bowl and PB&J smoothie
- Scootering with my best friend – Comma Mr. finally bought a scooter
- The Oregon coast – I love my chilly beaches
- Screen Door – always a favorite
It was a life-changing month. It also involved a few trips. Things were bittersweet. Did I mention life might be changing? Here are 10 things I loved about August.
1. Foggy mornings at the Oregon coast
2. Tomatoes from my garden
3. Road trip to Crater Lake
4. Camp food – grilled corn on the cob
5. Hiking down to Crater Lake and wading in the icy, clear blue water
6. Pancakes at the Crater Lake Lodge restaurant
7. Celebrating my sweetheart getting old (turning 31)
8. Portland Bridge Pedal – the 10-bridge ride
9. Last-minute trip to Hawaii for husband’s job interview
10. Throwing our plans out the window
I’m a little late in posting this one; August is nearly over! Regardless, here are 10 things that made me happy in July.
- The Waffle Window: I’ve been hearing about this place for-like-ever, thinking “yeah, yeah, good waffles, I’ll get there.” But, seriously, go soon – it’s delish. Seriously! Waffles so good, you’ll be OMG-ing like teen girl squad.
- Free TriMet pass: My work gives out free annual TriMet passes. While I’ve only used it to get to work a few times, it comes in handy on the weekends. I heart TriMet, unless it’s late at night or I’m riding past 82nd.
- Cannon Beach: Only in Oregon can you capture scenes like this on a “busy” weekend.
- World Cup fever: Great fun, despite my allegiance to Les Bleus, who had more drama than an episode of Glee. In fact, by the time my t-shirt came in the mail, France was OUT! Watching the World Cup Final in Pioneer Courthouse Square downtown Portland made up for my disappointment.
- My kitteh: …and his patience over the last month as I have accosted him on a daily basis with my oh so lovely new iPhone. I can haz photo shoot?
- del Inti: I love a restaurant that changes the menu on a daily or weekly basis. I also love watching the chef chop leaves from a plant to use as a garnish. They call themselves Peruvian-northwest. I call them yummy. I had the gnocchi.
- Mini designer chairs: I got my first blind-box design interior collection miniature chair in Tokyo a couple of years ago. Each collection has nine pieces, so you never know what you’re going to get… an Eames lounger? A Mezzadro stool?
- Café Yumm!: My favorite is the smoky yumm bowl. It’s about time Portland got a Café Yumm! I do have a slight beef with their inclusion of an exclamation point in their restaurant name, and their double-m version of yum, but their darn yumm!iness makes it tolerable.
- Paper crafts: As I slowly adjust to leaving my work-life as a designer, I’m feeling the need for more creativity in my home-life. I busted out the craft supplies and turned some old paper samples into a fun birthday card for Comma Mister.
- Zinnias: These made me smile all month.