September was a wild month. Last month’s interview trip turned into a job offer … aaaaaaaand my husband and I decided to move to Hawaii!
Here are 10 things that made me happy in September.
1. The EMP – shows are so much cooler when they are at the Experience Music Project
2. Fashionable people who march to their own beat. Purple man-pris? Why, yes!
3. The Space Needle – my first trip up since toddlerhood
4. Free Starbucks at the “insider lounge” during Bumbershoot
5. A wonderful kitty who forgives his parents for making him go through surgery
6. Subtle reminders that you’ve made the right choice
7. Outdoor concerts with best friends – Bumbershoot Music and Arts Festival
8. Cooking things that I grew
9. Painting and picking the perfect shade of white
10. La Isla Puerto Rican restaurant – nom!
2. Snowshoeing – We ventured out to Trillium Lake near Mt. Hood. Bring on winter.
3. Portland Chinese Garden – The Lan Su Chinese Garden is a little pocket of beauty in Old Town.
4. Mad Men – I am in love with this show! Perfect style and inspiration, and who could resist Don Draper at this price? I’m still planning a Mad Men inspired office. Stay tuned.
5. Tao of Tea – The teahouse at the Portland Chinese Garden is the perfect remedy for a rainy day.
6. EXPEDIT bookcase – I finally got an Expedit! I’m converting part of the family room into an office and crafty room, so I paired the 5×5 cube Expedit with a 2×4 cube on its side, and added the Expedit desk attachment.
7. ClarkLewis – I have been wanting to try this restaurant since, oh, the day it opened in 2004. Well, finally!
8. Ravenna chair at World Market – A great print, and perfect mix of new and old.
9. Thanksgiving dinner for two – Part New Seasons deli, part home cooked. Yum!
10. My new job – Yes, I did just get a new job five months ago. Same company, new position. This is great opportunity and what I’m calling “my big girl job.” (Jumps up and down, clapping.)
Another month already? September flew by with trips and and trip planning. Here are 10 things that made me happy in September:
1. Bumbershoot 2010 – Bumbershoot is an annual tradition in our household. It marks the beginning of fall and is an awesome time to take a jaunt up north for some great music and comedy. And isn’t the EMP just the coolest building of all time?
2. Rivers Cuomo – Weezer headlined Bumbershoot this year. I 100% agreed when he said “Gen X – this is your night.” Ahhh, like traveling back in time. 🙂
3. Uwajimaya store – Never mind the food, this is one of my favorite stores for gifts, dishes and kitchenware. They have locations in the Seattle area and Beaverton, and there has been a store rumored to be opening in Portland’s China Town/Old Town for a few years now. I get to the Bellevue store more often than the Beaverton one. What’s up with that?
4. Flatstock – Flatstock is one of my favorite parts of Bumbershoot. It’s an awesome place to get unique art on the cheap. My favorite artist for several years running is Kevin Tong. He has the coolest iSteamPhone piece that is a Da Vinci-esque drawing/deconstruction of an iPhone. So cool.
5. Seattle – OK, the lovefest with Seattle ends here. This might as well be a 10 things loved about Bumbershoot or 10 things loved about Seattle list. My excuse is that I was born and (partially) raised near Seattle so my annual trips up there are near and dear to my heart.
6. Mango – I love love LOVE Costco’s mangoes. During September I had a constant supply of fresh mango and had mango for breakfast, lunch and dinner some days. One of my favorite recipes is mango “beef” lettuce wraps: mango strips, cilantro, scallions, bean-thread noodles and chi’a pow yu wrapped in Boston lettuce leaves. Yum!
7. Bar Carlo – Great little breakfast place in outer SE. They have the best mexicanos platos … my favorite is the black bean omelet with soyrizo.
8. Closet Couture – So fun – I spent a ridiculous amount of time over several afternoons photographing and categorizing all my clothes. It was quite fun and afterward I made collages and planned vacation outfits in Google Picasa. Which I know isn’t the point, but taking the photos was about 96% of the battle and now I can organize them however I wish… Dear Closet Couture – Please get an iPhone app.
9. 2011 IKEA catalog – Getting the new IKEA catalog is always a big event for me. This year’s isn’t particularly engaging, but I do love the “hooray for the everyday” theme.
10. Planning my Greece and Turkey trip – I spent a good chunk of September finalizing details for our big trip to Greece and Istanbul. And on Sept. 30 we arrived in Athens!
While this wasn’t my first comedy show, I added “Go to a comedy show” to my 30 before 30 project because I knew it was something I wanted to do AGAIN before hitting the big 3-0.
I had the chance to see Kumail Nanjiani, John Mulaney and Nick Kroll at Bumbershoot in Seattle this year. I hear it’s a great venue to catch up and coming comedians. Last year I saw Aziz Ansari, who is most hilarious.
My favorite out of the three was Kumail Nanjiani. Here’s a crappy YouTube video from his cheese/heroin routine:
“It’s mostly heroin…just do the heroin, you already have the heroin…” has been been cracking me up ever since.
I feel like I should add the “Go to a comedy show” goal to a list of resolutions each year… there’s something to be said for getting a good laugh – in person!