September was a wild month. Last month’s interview trip turned into a job offer … aaaaaaaand my husband and I decided to move to Hawaii!
Here are 10 things that made me happy in September.
1. The EMP – shows are so much cooler when they are at the Experience Music Project
2. Fashionable people who march to their own beat. Purple man-pris? Why, yes!
3. The Space Needle – my first trip up since toddlerhood
4. Free Starbucks at the “insider lounge” during Bumbershoot
5. A wonderful kitty who forgives his parents for making him go through surgery
6. Subtle reminders that you’ve made the right choice
7. Outdoor concerts with best friends – Bumbershoot Music and Arts Festival
8. Cooking things that I grew
9. Painting and picking the perfect shade of white
10. La Isla Puerto Rican restaurant – nom!
It was a life-changing month. It also involved a few trips. Things were bittersweet. Did I mention life might be changing? Here are 10 things I loved about August.
1. Foggy mornings at the Oregon coast
2. Tomatoes from my garden
3. Road trip to Crater Lake
4. Camp food – grilled corn on the cob
5. Hiking down to Crater Lake and wading in the icy, clear blue water
6. Pancakes at the Crater Lake Lodge restaurant
7. Celebrating my sweetheart getting old (turning 31)
8. Portland Bridge Pedal – the 10-bridge ride
9. Last-minute trip to Hawaii for husband’s job interview
10. Throwing our plans out the window
I’ve been craving a Mad Men style office for a couple of years now, but since Mr. Comma Happy is the one with the wood paneled office, I’ve been secretly planning a design coup to overhaul his space.
After a Mad Men watching marathon this weekend I finally put together my stash of photos and inspiration into a mood board. Here’s my inspiration:
And here’s a modern take on a Mad Men inspired home office:
Sources and progress to follow in an upcoming post, but most things are from IKEA, Crate and Barrel, Overstock and Amazon.
Another month already? September flew by with trips and and trip planning. Here are 10 things that made me happy in September:
1. Bumbershoot 2010 – Bumbershoot is an annual tradition in our household. It marks the beginning of fall and is an awesome time to take a jaunt up north for some great music and comedy. And isn’t the EMP just the coolest building of all time?
2. Rivers Cuomo – Weezer headlined Bumbershoot this year. I 100% agreed when he said “Gen X – this is your night.” Ahhh, like traveling back in time. 🙂
3. Uwajimaya store – Never mind the food, this is one of my favorite stores for gifts, dishes and kitchenware. They have locations in the Seattle area and Beaverton, and there has been a store rumored to be opening in Portland’s China Town/Old Town for a few years now. I get to the Bellevue store more often than the Beaverton one. What’s up with that?
4. Flatstock – Flatstock is one of my favorite parts of Bumbershoot. It’s an awesome place to get unique art on the cheap. My favorite artist for several years running is Kevin Tong. He has the coolest iSteamPhone piece that is a Da Vinci-esque drawing/deconstruction of an iPhone. So cool.
5. Seattle – OK, the lovefest with Seattle ends here. This might as well be a 10 things loved about Bumbershoot or 10 things loved about Seattle list. My excuse is that I was born and (partially) raised near Seattle so my annual trips up there are near and dear to my heart.
6. Mango – I love love LOVE Costco’s mangoes. During September I had a constant supply of fresh mango and had mango for breakfast, lunch and dinner some days. One of my favorite recipes is mango “beef” lettuce wraps: mango strips, cilantro, scallions, bean-thread noodles and chi’a pow yu wrapped in Boston lettuce leaves. Yum!
7. Bar Carlo – Great little breakfast place in outer SE. They have the best mexicanos platos … my favorite is the black bean omelet with soyrizo.
8. Closet Couture – So fun – I spent a ridiculous amount of time over several afternoons photographing and categorizing all my clothes. It was quite fun and afterward I made collages and planned vacation outfits in Google Picasa. Which I know isn’t the point, but taking the photos was about 96% of the battle and now I can organize them however I wish… Dear Closet Couture – Please get an iPhone app.
9. 2011 IKEA catalog – Getting the new IKEA catalog is always a big event for me. This year’s isn’t particularly engaging, but I do love the “hooray for the everyday” theme.
10. Planning my Greece and Turkey trip – I spent a good chunk of September finalizing details for our big trip to Greece and Istanbul. And on Sept. 30 we arrived in Athens!
It’s official! I’m going to Greece and Turkey in less than a month. Flights and hotels are booked, guidebooks and clothing are strewn around the house, and we’re getting down to business planning the perfect itinerary. And for some reason, I’m quite excited that we’ll be seeing the Aegean Sea and the Black Sea in one trip. Here is my unofficial itinerary:
- Days 1-2: Athens
- Days 3-5: Santorini
- Day 6: Heraklion, Crete with a daytrip to Knossos
- Day 7: Chania, Crete with a daytrip through the Samaria Gorge
- Day 8: Athens and Delphi
- Days 9-11: Nafplion with daytrips to Mycenea and Epidauros
- Days 12-16: Istanbul
Supposedly, fall is the perfect time to visit Greece, as the weather is still great but the crowds are gone. I’m counting down the weeks until I get to cross #20 off my 30 before 30 list.