September was a wild month. Last month’s interview trip turned into a job offer … aaaaaaaand my husband and I decided to move to Hawaii!
Here are 10 things that made me happy in September.
1. The EMP – shows are so much cooler when they are at the Experience Music Project
2. Fashionable people who march to their own beat. Purple man-pris? Why, yes!
3. The Space Needle – my first trip up since toddlerhood
4. Free Starbucks at the “insider lounge” during Bumbershoot
5. A wonderful kitty who forgives his parents for making him go through surgery
6. Subtle reminders that you’ve made the right choice
7. Outdoor concerts with best friends – Bumbershoot Music and Arts Festival
8. Cooking things that I grew
9. Painting and picking the perfect shade of white
10. La Isla Puerto Rican restaurant – nom!
It was a life-changing month. It also involved a few trips. Things were bittersweet. Did I mention life might be changing? Here are 10 things I loved about August.
1. Foggy mornings at the Oregon coast
2. Tomatoes from my garden
3. Road trip to Crater Lake
4. Camp food – grilled corn on the cob
5. Hiking down to Crater Lake and wading in the icy, clear blue water
6. Pancakes at the Crater Lake Lodge restaurant
7. Celebrating my sweetheart getting old (turning 31)
8. Portland Bridge Pedal – the 10-bridge ride
9. Last-minute trip to Hawaii for husband’s job interview
10. Throwing our plans out the window
Summer in Oregon – it’s where it’s at. Here are 10 things that made my month.
1. Bocce ball with friends
2. Fireworks over Oaks Park
3. Busting out the “stars and stripes” Converse All Stars for Independence Day
4. My garden finally growing!
5. Macarons (I know they were on my June favorites list too, but these are from Elephant’s Deli so not exactly the same thing)
6. Multnomah Falls
7. Farmers market season
8. Getting crafty with vintage buttons
9. Sailing on the Columbia River
10. Enjoying Waialua soda at a slightly cooler (and my favorite) beach – Oswald West
A momentous month – I turned 30! There are at least 10 things that made my milestone month amazing.
- Peonies in bloom
- Rosemary fries at the Observatory
- Birthday camping at Nehalem Bay
- My Smith & Hawken umbrella in beautiful aqua
- PB&J cupcake from Cupcake Jones
- Vintage finds at the Eastmoreland annual garage sale
- Macarons from Pix
- Going to a baby shower – first one from the “phase 2” baby makers
- Taking a birthday bike ride with my five favorite friends
- Turning 30!!!
Veggie overload. I am absolutely in love with in-season cooking during the summer. Why? Because almost everything is in season! This is a super quick recipe from Everyday Food (I have some similar ones from Epicurious). And since I had leftover corn on the cob from the weekend it was even quicker. Steps:
- Stand cooked ear of corn in a wide, shallow bowl. Slice and rotate until you have all the kernels off.
- Add a pint or two of cherry tomatoes, one avocado – diced, and 1-3 scallions – sliced.
- Stir together with the juice from 1/2 a lime, a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper.
My favorite thing about this recipe is you don’t need any measuring cups or spoons since proportions don’t really matter… just use what you have and it’s delish! I didn’t have scallions this week so I left them out and I doubled the amount of corn to use up what I had in the refrigerator.