It was a quiet, happy month. Here are 10 things that made it so:
- Papaya – I love the reddish ones.
- Bringing out my stars and stripes All-Stars for the 4th of July parade.
- Delicious cherry tart – despite a crust catastrophe.
- Beautiful views out my car window.
- Beautiful view in my backyard.
- Beautiful views in my town.
- A super silly husband who draws faces on mangoes.
- Eating takeout flautas from Serg’s – with this view.
- A fantastic day at Hoomaluhia Botanical Gardens – bikes, picnic, shade, friend.
- Finishing my diving certification. Woo!
Wow that went quick! April marked my first trip back to Portland for work. And boy did I work – almost around-the-clock for three straight weeks, including weekends. I did have time for meals out with friends, coffee with my parents and an afternoon of shopping though. Phew. I was so happy to get home. Here are 10 things that brought me joy in April:
- Tasty breakfast spots on Oahu – especially ones that serve Portland coffee like Town and Morning Glass.
- Hiking to Maunawili Falls.
- Having a “fruit corner” instead of a fruit bowl.
- Cooking with beets – my favorite veggie.
- Kayaking to the Mokes.
- Shopping ’til I dropped at the Columbia and Adidas employee stores. What? I needed more outdoorsy gear – it’s for my health!
- Dreaming at Rejuvenation Hardware – love this place.
- Running along the waterfront. I have missed you, Portland.
- Seeing my lovely parents, even for just a short while.
- Making up for lost time at my favorite Portland breakfast spots.
Home at last! I am officially a Hawaii resident – and I even have a driver’s license to prove it. On February 1, Mr. Kitty and I landed in Hawaii. What a journey this has been. The “house” arrived a couple of weeks later. We are settling in. Here are 10 things that made my month:
- My patient and very quiet travel companion on the flight over. (He was not happy, but at least he kept it to himself.)
- Flying over the windward side of Oahu – a rare treat. I could see my house from the plane!
- Being reunited with my love. <3
- Beautiful flowers.
- Weekend adventures and discovering new beaches.
- Sweet Home Waimanalo – my favorite restaurant.
- Sunrises at Kailua Beach – mmmm, the Mokuluas
- Sunsets at Kailua Beach – that burst of color as the sun disappears over the Kooluas. Until tomorrow.
- Opal Thai – amazing Thai food on the north shore.
- The arrival of our household goods. It is truly who and what you surround yourself with that makes a place feel like home.
A great month.
A momentous month – I turned 30! There are at least 10 things that made my milestone month amazing.
- Peonies in bloom
- Rosemary fries at the Observatory
- Birthday camping at Nehalem Bay
- My Smith & Hawken umbrella in beautiful aqua
- PB&J cupcake from Cupcake Jones
- Vintage finds at the Eastmoreland annual garage sale
- Macarons from Pix
- Going to a baby shower – first one from the “phase 2” baby makers
- Taking a birthday bike ride with my five favorite friends
- Turning 30!!!
It’s time for another recap of things that made my month! Here are 10 things that made me happy in August:
1. Gladiolas: I’m the kind of girl who likes to buy her guy flowers. Yes, it’s kind of a gift for myself, but it makes the house seem cozy. He humors me. I picked up a 10-stem bunch of glads at Fred Meyer for $3.99! They were cheaper than the tie-dye daisies and lasted a couple of weeks.
3. Providence Bridge Pedal: When else can you pedal across the Marquam Bridge? There is nothing quite like pedaling your bicycle across a freeway bridge. Yes, it’s a leisurely bike ride with 18,000 of your closest friends … and it’s awesome!
4. Cole Haan ‘Air Nora’ slide: These feel a bit grannyish but are still cute “summer is not yet over” shoes. And I do love my Cole Haan Nike Airs.
5. Pine State Biscuits: Everyone raves about the Reggie, the Regina, or plain old biscuits and gravy, but seasonal berries are where it’s at! I just can’t condone collard greens at 8 a.m. (which is when you should arrive if you don’t want to stand in line), but fresh berries and whipped cream are perfect toppings for the perfect biscuit!
6. Eggplant: Both the color and the vegetable made me smile this month.
7. Oregon honey: Another Portland Farmer’s Market find. I’m not sure what made me happier, the honey sticks or the yellow “3 Bees” bucket. I’m craving both.
8. Avery NoteTabs for cookbooks: I saw an ad for these in the Martha Stewart Everyday Food magazine and knew they would change my life. Proof that advertising works (only I thought they were a 3M post-it note product, so I suppose you could say I had a hard time with advertisement recall). Love them!
9. Lavender: Is it acceptable to have three items from the Farmer’s Market on my list? I put a bunch of fresh lavender in a wooden apple basket from Pottery Barn ($2.99 clearance item – score) and it smells as good as it looks… or looks at good as it smells.
10. Game storage: Finally, a place to keep extra games, and the (IKEA Dombas) wardrobe was only $99!