Good times in Hawaii. Here are 10 things that made me happy in September:
- Playing in Waikiki.
- More family visited. They stayed in town so it was fun to go out and be tourists. We went to the Okinawan Festival – this bonzai exhibit was great.
- Getting my iPhone 5!
- Exploring at Kaena Point – always a fun time.
- Whole Ox Deli – ahhhh-mazing breakfast. I die. No need for Portland anymore.
- Madre Chocolate – it’s good.
- Fresh lilikoi.
- Shirokiya – we go there quite a lot to grab ramen or whatever looks tasty. Reminds me of being in Japan. Which brings me to happiness about planning our upcoming Japan and Korea vacation.
- Starting to run again. Why am I so slow?! But the views are worth it – this spot was a treat!
- SUPing at flat island and to the Mokuluas.
I spent the entire month on the mainland – one week on vacation and four weeks working. Here are 10 things that made me happy:
- Good times with good friends – especially these two ladies and their dudes.
- Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.
- The little things – hello, tiny frog.
- The big things – hello, trees that are too big and tall to comprehend.
- Camping in the California redwoods.
- Swimming in COLD river water.
- Driving 101 along the Oregon coast.
- Full moon in summer.
- Biking in the bike city – Portland. (Thanks to a lovely friend who let me borrow her bike for my entire trip.)
It was a quiet, happy month. Here are 10 things that made it so:
- Papaya – I love the reddish ones.
- Bringing out my stars and stripes All-Stars for the 4th of July parade.
- Delicious cherry tart – despite a crust catastrophe.
- Beautiful views out my car window.
- Beautiful view in my backyard.
- Beautiful views in my town.
- A super silly husband who draws faces on mangoes.
- Eating takeout flautas from Serg’s – with this view.
- A fantastic day at Hoomaluhia Botanical Gardens – bikes, picnic, shade, friend.
- Finishing my diving certification. Woo!
My birth month! And I got to spend all of it at home in Hawaii. Here are 10 things I loved about June:
- This hippie bowl recipe from Emily at Daily Garnish. So simple and good.
- We had more friends come to visit – so fun.
- Great gifts from said friends. My friend MADE this blown-glass vase. I love it.
- My silly, lazy kitty.
- Rainier cherries from Yakima, Washington – the best.
- My Zoku popsicle maker. It is so darn amazing. Thank you, sister.
- Getting a standup paddle board for my birthday. Yes!
- New Ono Pop flavors – you just have to try them all.
- Working on my diving certification.
- Maybe I spent too much time at home this month, but my cat deserves two spots on this list.
May started out with me coming home after working for a few weeks in Portland. It was great to be there and to see my favorite people and places, but it was even better to get back home. You don’t realize how much a place has become your home until you’re gone for a bit. Flying back into HNL on this trip really, really felt like coming home, which was a great feeling! Here are 10 more things I loved about May:
1. Stumptown Coffee – my final stop before leaving Portland. I bought so much, they said I could pretty much take anything else in the store that I wanted, including this cold brew.
2. Home (sigh). No, this isn’t the view from my home – I wish! But this is the beautiful windward side where we live.
3. Lazy weekends at the beach.
4. Our first trip to the Big Island. Look at this adorable horse I found on the way to South Point. I tried to convince him I was his paniolo.
5. Seared ahi at Merriman’s Market Cafe – yum! This was PERFECT. (I get very grumpy when I order seared ahi and it comes out cooked all the way through.)
6. Driving up Mauna Kea – 13796 feet!
7. Seeing the lava glow from Halemaumau at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
8. Snorkeling with a pod of spinner dolphins – they just showed up.
9. The Painted Church at Honaunau – amazing.
10. Spending five days in Volcano and hiking almost every day! It was chilly up there in the mountains, which reminded us of Oregon. <3