I’m not big on Halloween. In fact, this is the only Halloween decoration I’ve owned for years. My cute little spooky ghost votive holder comes out for about a week and perches here on my 1950s stove.
It’s about time for my first “I’m feeling guilty for not blogging” post. Well, I’ll postpone it because it’s also about time for a top-of-mind post!
I tried on this adorable puff-sleeve empire cut t-shirt at Zara in Chania, Greece. There was something about the cut and the gathering on the empire waist that I just loved. However, it felt a little short so I passed it up. I’ve been regretting that decision since, especially since it was only 13 euros! What was Brittany thinking? Ugh.
Now to get those trip photos organized!
Another month already? September flew by with trips and and trip planning. Here are 10 things that made me happy in September:
1. Bumbershoot 2010 – Bumbershoot is an annual tradition in our household. It marks the beginning of fall and is an awesome time to take a jaunt up north for some great music and comedy. And isn’t the EMP just the coolest building of all time?
2. Rivers Cuomo – Weezer headlined Bumbershoot this year. I 100% agreed when he said “Gen X – this is your night.” Ahhh, like traveling back in time. 🙂
3. Uwajimaya store – Never mind the food, this is one of my favorite stores for gifts, dishes and kitchenware. They have locations in the Seattle area and Beaverton, and there has been a store rumored to be opening in Portland’s China Town/Old Town for a few years now. I get to the Bellevue store more often than the Beaverton one. What’s up with that?
4. Flatstock – Flatstock is one of my favorite parts of Bumbershoot. It’s an awesome place to get unique art on the cheap. My favorite artist for several years running is Kevin Tong. He has the coolest iSteamPhone piece that is a Da Vinci-esque drawing/deconstruction of an iPhone. So cool.
5. Seattle – OK, the lovefest with Seattle ends here. This might as well be a 10 things loved about Bumbershoot or 10 things loved about Seattle list. My excuse is that I was born and (partially) raised near Seattle so my annual trips up there are near and dear to my heart.
6. Mango – I love love LOVE Costco’s mangoes. During September I had a constant supply of fresh mango and had mango for breakfast, lunch and dinner some days. One of my favorite recipes is mango “beef” lettuce wraps: mango strips, cilantro, scallions, bean-thread noodles and chi’a pow yu wrapped in Boston lettuce leaves. Yum!
7. Bar Carlo – Great little breakfast place in outer SE. They have the best mexicanos platos … my favorite is the black bean omelet with soyrizo.
8. Closet Couture – So fun – I spent a ridiculous amount of time over several afternoons photographing and categorizing all my clothes. It was quite fun and afterward I made collages and planned vacation outfits in Google Picasa. Which I know isn’t the point, but taking the photos was about 96% of the battle and now I can organize them however I wish… Dear Closet Couture – Please get an iPhone app.
9. 2011 IKEA catalog – Getting the new IKEA catalog is always a big event for me. This year’s isn’t particularly engaging, but I do love the “hooray for the everyday” theme.
10. Planning my Greece and Turkey trip – I spent a good chunk of September finalizing details for our big trip to Greece and Istanbul. And on Sept. 30 we arrived in Athens!