I’ve been faithfully working out at 24Hour Fitness for five years – usually taking two group classes a week. My favorites The only classes I take are spin and TKB (turbo kick boxing). One of the things on my 30 before 30 list is to try a new class at the gym… perhaps this will break me out of my workout rut!
My choice? Boot Camp! I don’t know if this is the Biggest Loser Boot Camp they’ve been advertising or Camp24, but it sure beats trying Zumba or 24Tease (as in, strip tease). I’m not quite sure what to expect, but it sounds fun. I just hope they don’t yell at me!I found this video on the 24Hour website, but the class ended up being way more fun than this class looks:
Boot Camp: I arrive a little late so when I get to the basketball court, people are already doing jumping jacks while they await their turn at baseline sprints (suicides, lines, ladder drills, whatever you call them). I join a random group, and the two people in front of me go painfully slow. Finally, it’s my turn but there are only two other people out on the court …and they’re on their way back. Eeek! I looked at the instructor, “should I keep going?” And he starts hollering and clapping. So there I am running by myself in front of 70 cheering people. An awkward start, that’s for sure, but I did feel a little special.
Then we were split into groups of 10 for circuit training at different stations.
- My group does bicycle crunches first, followed by planks.
- The next station is lunges.
- The obstacle course, where you leap onto a platform, jump down, do a burpee (a squat/jump/pushup thing) and repeat down the line of four platforms.
- Then there’s a station with some variation on lunges with weights.
- Next, we move on to flipping tractor tires down the court (seriously) and taking turns jumping into the middle after each flip.
- Then we hold weight plates above our heads and walk on our heels to the end of the gym, followed by sliding the weight plates on pieces of cardboard down the length of the gym.
- Finally, we’re at the last station where we lift bar weights (I feel like a powerlifter).
Phew! Tiring. We stay at each station for about 3 minutes and do the entire circuit twice. For the last 10 minutes of class, the whole group does pushups, mountain climbers, planks and squats.
My Review: Good workout, fun format, and the hour went by super fast. The group was huge so it was a little chaotic at times, but it was fun seeing such a variety of people at a group class, and it oddly felt like grade school PE. Alas, I was totally ready to do a rope climb to the ceiling. My only surprise – sore legs! I do lunges pretty regularly, but for some reason my hammies (yes, I did just call them that) were killing me the next day. As in, take the elevator instead of the stairs, sore. Mission accomplished!