I wrote a new Oahu and Honolulu City Guide as a guest post for Design Sponge a few months ago. Life has been busy so I kind of forgot to write about writing it! The guide lists about 75 of my favorite shops, restaurants and things to do on Oahu. I split it into three areas – Honolulu (beyond Waikiki), the North Shore (Haleiwa) and Kailua (windward Oahu) and created a Google map to go along with it.
I hope fellow bloggers find it helpful as they plan to visit Oahu. And as I said in the post, I’ll probably still feel like a visitor years from now! I guess I should head over to see if anyone has left new recommendations in the comments. Speaking of comments, the format of the post is a little confusing because they left the comments up from a previous Hawaii city guide even though mine is completely new and only for Oahu. (Just skip down to June 2012 for the real comments.)
Here’s a peek at one of my favorite stores I listed in the guide – Pacific Home. I want that chair!
Good times in Hawaii. Here are 10 things that made me happy in September:
- Playing in Waikiki.
- More family visited. They stayed in town so it was fun to go out and be tourists. We went to the Okinawan Festival – this bonzai exhibit was great.
- Getting my iPhone 5!
- Exploring at Kaena Point – always a fun time.
- Whole Ox Deli – ahhhh-mazing breakfast. I die. No need for Portland anymore.
- Madre Chocolate – it’s good.
- Fresh lilikoi.
- Shirokiya – we go there quite a lot to grab ramen or whatever looks tasty. Reminds me of being in Japan. Which brings me to happiness about planning our upcoming Japan and Korea vacation.
- Starting to run again. Why am I so slow?! But the views are worth it – this spot was a treat!
- SUPing at flat island and to the Mokuluas.
I spent the entire month on the mainland – one week on vacation and four weeks working. Here are 10 things that made me happy:
- Good times with good friends – especially these two ladies and their dudes.
- Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park.
- The little things – hello, tiny frog.
- The big things – hello, trees that are too big and tall to comprehend.
- Camping in the California redwoods.
- Swimming in COLD river water.
- Driving 101 along the Oregon coast.
- Full moon in summer.
- Biking in the bike city – Portland. (Thanks to a lovely friend who let me borrow her bike for my entire trip.)
It was a quiet, happy month. Here are 10 things that made it so:
- Papaya – I love the reddish ones.
- Bringing out my stars and stripes All-Stars for the 4th of July parade.
- Delicious cherry tart – despite a crust catastrophe.
- Beautiful views out my car window.
- Beautiful view in my backyard.
- Beautiful views in my town.
- A super silly husband who draws faces on mangoes.
- Eating takeout flautas from Serg’s – with this view.
- A fantastic day at Hoomaluhia Botanical Gardens – bikes, picnic, shade, friend.
- Finishing my diving certification. Woo!
My birth month! And I got to spend all of it at home in Hawaii. Here are 10 things I loved about June:
- This hippie bowl recipe from Emily at Daily Garnish. So simple and good.
- We had more friends come to visit – so fun.
- Great gifts from said friends. My friend MADE this blown-glass vase. I love it.
- My silly, lazy kitty.
- Rainier cherries from Yakima, Washington – the best.
- My Zoku popsicle maker. It is so darn amazing. Thank you, sister.
- Getting a standup paddle board for my birthday. Yes!
- New Ono Pop flavors – you just have to try them all.
- Working on my diving certification.
- Maybe I spent too much time at home this month, but my cat deserves two spots on this list.